The Nagaur kingdom is believed to have been established by the Nagvanshi kings who built the original mud fort in the town of Nagaur in the fourth century. The Ahhichatragarh was built on the site of the mud fort during the early twelfth century. In 1154 a number of major modifications and additions were made to the fort complex but few further changes were made until 1540. The fort was a coveted prize and Nagaur's strategic location and importance as a trade centre meant that the town was the setting of a number of conflicts as series of rulers battled to retain control. After 1540 successive sultans made additions to the fort complex until 1752, when the last building was added to the complex.
The fort complex was occupied by the Rathors of Jodphur from the late eighteenth century until 1947 when the State Government began renting the complex. One of the Government departments, the Border Security Force, adapted the buildings to create barracks and other facilities and occupied the site for over a decade. When the Force vacated the complex in 1970 it remained unused for a further 30 years.
The picturesque fort complex consists of four palaces and 43 smaller buildings, including a mosque and temples, and is surrounded by a two-tier defense wall. The construction system of the buildings is a composite one, in which internal spaces are enclosed by stone load-bearing walls. A significant aspect of the architecture is the use of various kinds of bracketed arches, spanning systems and structural supports.
Nagaur Fort - Sandy fort; centrally located; 2nd century old; witnessed many battles; lofty walls & spacious campus; having many palaces & temples inside.
Tarkeen Dargah - Most renowned after the Ajmer Dargah; sacred place for Muslims & Sufis.
Jain Temple in Glass - Lofty structure of glass; sacred place for the Jain community.
Saiji ka Tanka - Samadhi of a renowned saint, inspires the liberation of the soul with simplicity & truthfulness; a symbol of communal harmony.
Other Places - Cenotaph of Amar Singh Rathore, Bansiwala Temple, Nath Ji ki Chhatri, Barli.